Enjoying the Last Quiet Winter Days in Connecticut
When a late snow storm hits Connecticut, everyone yearns for Spring and its seasonal activities. Often, though, we do not take time to relax and enjoy some quiet time. Winter lends itself beautifully to some rest and relaxation (provided that the snow removal is behind us). Stress management is an integral part of the healthy lifestyle necessary for continued success with bariatric surgery. Here are a few ways to calm the mind and enjoy the last days of winter:
• Pick a book off the shelf. There is nothing like getting lost in a good book to help forget the daily stresses for a while. Allow yourself to enjoy the pleasure of reading for fun.
• Watch the snow fall. Ok, maybe it is a bit like watching grass grow. However, taking the time to just watch the snowflakes dance from the sky can be wonderfully relaxing. Unlike children, we rarely marvel at the beauty of snowflakes. Bring out your inner child and go a step further and make your own paper snowflakes and hang them from the ceiling to remind yourself to take things lightly.
• Meditate by the fireplace. Meditation bells and candles may not be your style, but watching a fire can have the same centering effect. Add another log and let the stress burn away.
• Pick up some yarn. Knitting and crocheting are great indoor activities. They allow you to be creative and thoughtful, but force you to let go of stressful thoughts. After all, it is harder than it looks (but easy to learn)! If you are someone who gets the munchies at night, keeping your hands busy is a great way to avoid putting your hands in the snack bowl. Plus, you may just end up with a beautiful scarf or hat to wear on your winter walks.
• Paint. When was the last time you painted? Elementary school? You do not need to be an artist to paint and enjoy it. Pick up a simple watercolor kit for a few bucks at the store and just have fun with it. It does not have to be perfect; mistakes are part of the fun. Focus on how fun it is to mix the colors and seeing them bleed onto the paper. If you are yearning for Spring, create your own blooming masterpiece. Be proud and put your art of the fridge or better yet, frame it and hang it next to your favorite art.
• Play a board game as a family. Make the most of snow days and enjoy family time together by playing a board game. Kids of all ages love to play games together as a family. This meaningful together-time leads both parents and kids to open up and share. Find out what everyone has been so busy about and share your new adventures, too!
Griffin Bariatrics offers extensive pre- and post-operative support services. To learn more about our support groups, exercise classes and workshops, please contact Kim Fisher, Bariatric Patient Care Specialist.
Questions? Ask Kim!
Get A Quick Response
Need help registering for support groups, monthly workshops or bariatric seminars? Unsure of the process or how to begin? We take pride in offering concierge style guidance for all current and potential patients.